Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mythbusters - Cloth Diaper edition.

This blog post was taken from Half Pint's Blog Boutique.


MYTHBUSTERS-CLOTH DIAPER EDITION!Yesterday
 
Cloth Diapering Myths Debunked!
 
Okay, we’ve all heard them. “You’re doing what? Cloth diapers, why would you use those? Isn’t it gross?” Those are just a few of the comments I get when I tell people that I use cloth. I decided to do a little myth busting and put some rumors to rest. Here are six of the most common myths I hear and why they are simply just that, myths.
 
Myth #1- I don’t have time!
 
Okay, who really has time for any laundry? The truth is I do one extra load of laundry every other day. It maybe adds 10 minutes to that particular day. It’s really not a time issue at all. We all have to make time to wash our clothes, washing diapers really doesn’t take a lot of extra time.  We can manage to find an extra 30 minutes to watch a ridiculous reality show, but not an extra ten to toss a few diapers in the washer. Depending on what type of cloth diapers you purchase, you may have to take some time to prepare them to be used after they are dry. For example, a pocket diaper needs to have an insert stuffed inside before it can be used. I always do this when my diapers come out of the dryer, that way at diaper changing time I can simply grab and go. I actually find sitting down with a pile of diapers to be folded and stuffed therapeutic. I usually do it after my little one is in bed, and it’s part of my relaxing evening time. Although, if you don’t have extra time to do that you can simply purchase diapers that are considered All-in-One diapers, meaning they are all one piece, just like a disposable. So, if time is an excuse reconsider your thinking because it really doesn’t take a lot of time and you can purchase diapers that don’t require any preparation.
 
Myth #2-Cloth diapers are unsanitary.
 
I’ve gotten some crazy, or disgusted looks when I tell people we use cloth diapers. “Isn’t that gross?” “You wash them yourself?” are just a few of comments I get on a regular basis.  The truth is whether you use cloth or disposables you are going to have to deal with your child’s poop at some point.  Cloth diapers don’t really require you to do anything repulsive. If your child is exclusively breastfed you can simply take the diaper off, toss it in a pail, and toss it in the washer without doing anything extra. Breastfed babies’ poop happens to be water-soluble (just another benefit to breastfeeding). The washing machine cleans and disinfects with no extra work. Once your baby begins eating solids, or if they are on formula you will have to dump the solids prior to putting them in the washing machine. If you read the label on disposable diapers this is supposed to be done even with disposables. All solids should be dumped. There are even these convenient diaper sprayers that attach to your toilet and allow you to spray anything right into the toilet. It’s so easy and convenient, and no more work than you should be doing for disposables.
 
Myth #3- Cloth diapers are complicated.
 
Cloth diapering can definitely be overwhelming at first, just because you may not have anyone to talk to about how to get started and the world of cloth diapering has really changed and there are SO MANY options. When I first started I was surprised at the variety and definitely overwhelmed. Luckily, there happens to be a HUGE supportive online community for cloth diapering. There are so many helpful blogs and websites that are run by incredibly helpful moms. I got started by following a blog and it really helped me figure things out. There are even more resources available since I started. Cloth diapers themselves are really no more complicated than disposables. There are some cloth diapering “systems” that are a little more complicated, but if simplicity is important to you there are plenty of simple options available.
 
Myth #4 Cloth diapers are so expensive!
 
So, this myth is partially true. There are some expensive cloth diapers out there. However, you do not have to choose to use them if you are interested in saving money. Most cloth diapering families that use cloth end up saving approximately $1,200 dollars a year. This could be more or less depending on what type of diapers you choose to go with. Even if you end up going with some diapers that are a little pricier, you will still be saving money in the long run. Many cloth diapers are made to fit babies from the newborn (about 9lbs) stage until they are potty trained. There are also many options that are made to fit smaller babies. The truth is cloth diapers will save you money in the long run, how much money simply depends on the types you chose to use.
 
Myth #5- Daycare won’t allow cloth diapers.
 
There may be some daycares out there that may not allow them, but the truth is more and more daycares are jumping on board once they see what modern cloth diapers are like. You can expect that they won’t wash them for you, but it’s really no different to them to throw a disposable in the trash or throw your cloth diaper in a wet bag.  If you chose a simple cloth diaper for them to use, there is no extra work involved at all. You just simply have to ask and show them exactly what modern cloth looks like. So, if your daycare won’t allow them and you really want to use cloth, it may be worth some time to show them what the diapers are like, and if they still say no you could always look for a different daycare.
 
Myth #6 I won’t be able to use cloth diapers unless I’m at home.
 
This one is so wrong! There is no difference in using cloth at home or when you are out. You simply placed the used diaper in a wetbag. These bags are designed for diapers. They seal, preventing any smells, liquids, or solids from escaping. If you don’t like the idea of carrying around whole dirty diapers there are many other options available. There are many cloth diapers on the market today that can be used with disposable inserts. These can simply be thrown away and replaced when you change a diaper. There are also flushable liners that can be used to “catch” a mess. These are simply flushed right down the toilet. Cloth diapering on the go is very possible, and quite simple.
 
When I first started cloth diapering I expected it to be a lot of work, but it was something I felt strongly about, so I knew it would be worth it. Honestly, it’s so much easier than even I expected! I cloth diaper 24/7 whether I’m at home or out and about and I don’t find it to be an inconvenience at all. I hope some of these myths have been busted for you! If you or someone you know is considering cloth, but don’t know where to begin please DO NOT hesitate to contact me. I have tons of resources I can share and I love doing it! Happy Diapering!
 
Be Blessed,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment