Monday, March 5, 2012

Breastfeeding.

When I first got pregnant, I was on medication for ADHD. Stopping cold turkey was absolutely HORRIBLE. I thought I would die from the exhaustion. I counted down the days until I could take my medicine again, saying I would only breast feed for 3 months so he would get the benefits of it, but then I could resume taking my medication.

Yeah, well once I started, my mindset COMPLETELY changed. First of all, Boston did not latch until he was 7 weeks old. He was tongue tied and we did not find this out until I saw a lactation consultant (I HIGHLY recommend seeing one if you are having issues) at 5 weeks. I had his doctor perform the quick procedure to get it fixed the very next day, and he slowly improved until he latched perfectly 2 weeks later. Up until that point I was exclusively pumping, which I might add is EXHAUSTING. Not only do you have to get up through the night to feed a new baby, but afterwards you must stay up an extra 15-20 minutes to pump milk for the next feeding. Every 3 hours, around the clock. Even pumping that often, it's common for mothers to lose their milk supply. Breast feeding is a much more effective way of transferring milk and some people just aren't able to keep up with pumping alone.

If he hadn't latched, I don't think I would have even made it to 3 months. But finally he did, and I am now at 4 months and going strong. I can't even imagine switching to formula at any point soon. My new goal has become to make it to one year, and then in the following months wean him off at a point that's okay for both of us. One problem I have with this is that if I do become pregnant again, I've read a few things saying I could lose my milk supply which makes me nervous. But if that happens we will deal with it then!

Some of my favorite articles and links I've read about breastfeeding so far:
Get Inspired by your Mom-Made Wonder Food
58 Medicinal, Cosmetic, and Other Alternative Uses for Breastmilk
Best for Babes
kellymom
101 Reasons to Breastfeed your Child
The Leaky Boob

No comments:

Post a Comment