Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mommy Talk Tuesday! {Breastfeeding}



The Not So Secret
Confessions of a Second Time Mom

This week's topic Breastfeeding!  

Did/do you breastfeed? If you do/did what was your biggest challenge during breastfeeding? What was/is your favorite part of breastfeeding? Do you think it's ok to nurse in public, covered or not? Do/did you ever nurse in public? Do you have any tips for moms struggling with breastfeeding or expectant moms who plan to breastfeed?

----------------

I have been breastfeeding my son now for a little over 6 months. It for SURE was not easy for us in the beginning. He was born a month early, and I didn't get to see him (besides right when he was born) for 4 hours after birth. He wouldn't latch when they brought him to me. Instead of having me try for awhile, the lactation consultant nurse just handed me a nipple shield (which ended up being the wrong size for his mouth, didn't find that out until he was 5 weeks old). The first week, I supplemented with formula since he would not latch. I was pumping and had already pretty much given up on breastfeeding normally. He just couldn't do it, he wouldn't get much even with the shield and he would be mad after. Pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock is NOT fun.

When he was 5 weeks old I had my WIC appointment to see the lactation consultant. She immediately figured out that he was tongue tied, and that the nipple shield I was given was the wrong size. She weighed him, gave me the correct nipple shield size, and then I fed him. She weighed him after and he had taken a full feeding for the first time, with the new nipple shield size. She also gave me a brand new Medela Pump In Style (I had been using a used one I bought locally because I could not afford a new one). I immediately called our pediatrician when I got to the car about the tongue tie.

The nurse called me back and said he had seen that he had a slight tongue tie at birth. She told me he would check it out at our next appointment in January (it was early December at this point). I told her no, I wanted to be seen immediately and get it taken care of, not "checked out." She scheduled me an appointment for the next day. I expected the doctor to tell me it wasn't bad and we would just keep an eye on it, that's what I was warned would happen, but he took him and fixed it immediately. It took two seconds and he was fine immediately after, took a bottle with no pain.

It was still two weeks after this until he latched, we went on vacation for Christmas and it was exhuasting. I was pumping but not enough because we had to much to do and so many people to see. Pumping in hotel bathrooms while your entire family is in the other room is not a good way to spend a holiday. I ran out of bottles on the airplane home, and had to use the breast shield in the airport which was annoying. But, the day after we got home he latched perfectly with no breast shield! We have had no issues since then. Now he hates bottles and is on a great schedule. 

My favorite part of breastfeeding is that I can tell how much we have bonded from it. I am his main source of nutrition and he needs me. He holds on to me while he eats and I can tell he loves it! I think it's fine to nurse in public. I personally use a cover, but I don't think anyone should have to. Breasts are for feeding a baby, that's the only reason we have them, so people shouldn't think its weird or gross to feed a child in public. No one has ever said anything about it to me, but I've heard a lot of horror stories that people have had comments made to them while nursing in public. 

My main tip for anyone struggling, or who plans to breastfeed, is JUST KEEP TRYING. It took us almost 2 months for him to latch and I never gave up. Having to wake up all night long to pump was more important to me than sleeping, knowing he was getting breast milk instead of formula. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are a strong mama! I can't say that I wouldn't have given up by then! Way to go! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job persevering! I had very similar problems with my oldest, and I pumped for six weeks until there was nothing left to pump. With my second, we did not have a single problem. Hopefully if you have another little one, things will go easier for you.

    And I agree. It is such a special bond. Sadly, my daughter just weaned a couple of weeks ago, but I'm looking forward to hopefully having a number 3 soon!

    Btw, found you from the hop :-)
    Amanda
    www.indisposablemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... that is so wrong and awesome on your part! way to go mama! I hope to overcome any challenges this time around. I wish I would have pushed through as well...
    CJR @ The Mami Blog

    ReplyDelete